Inside Abuja

Wike orders crackdown on structures blocking waterways across FCT

Nyesom Wike, minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), has ordered the expansion of demolitions of illegal structures built on drainage channels across the territory as part of efforts to tackle flooding and restore the Abuja master plan.

Wike spoke on Wednesday during a press briefing in Abuja after inspecting ongoing infrastructure projects across the FCT.

He said the demolition exercise, which began in Maitama district, would be extended to other parts of the territory, regardless of who might be affected.

“We just started somewhere. After that, we will move to another area. We are not going to end where we started yesterday. We are very serious and I can tell you that we are not going back. It doesn’t matter who is affected,” he said.

The minister defended the demolitions against criticism overdue process, saying structures erected on waterways obstruct the free flow of water and contribute to flooding.

“You went to block a water channel, is that due process? I’m the one following due process to make sure the right thing is being done,” Wike said.

He added that removing the structures would restore the free flow of water through the designated channels.

Wike also announced a territory-wide ban on the unauthorised conversion of public recreational areas, green spaces and parks into car dealerships and parking lots.

He specifically cited areas around Millennium Park, where he said green spaces had been converted into car-selling points.

“You can imagine, everywhere you have green areas, you have carports now. So, I’ve already stopped it, and I’ve set up a task force to make sure that every car dealer is moved out of the green areas,” he said.

The minister said car dealers operating in such areas would be required to relocate to properly acquired and developed properties.

Following the directive, Nancy Nathan, FCT head of service, summoned directors in charge of parks and recreation, environmental protection, traffic management, and urban and regional planning to explain how illegal approvals were issued to car dealers.

Wike also provided updates on several infrastructure projects inspected during the tour, including the extension of the access road from Tungan Madaki, near the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, to Zuba.

Others include the road extension from the Body of Benchers to Ring Road III and the dualisation of the access road serving Nile University and Baze University in the institutions and research district.

The minister expressed satisfaction with the pace and quality of work, commending China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) for continuing with the projects despite receiving less than 30 percent of the mobilisation funds.

“Let me use this opportunity to commend CCECC. Like I’ve said, these are projects of high capital expenditure, and we have not even mobilised them up to 30 percent. We can see how committed they are,” he said.

Wike assured the contractor that the FCT Administration would meet its financial obligations, adding that the government appreciated CCECC’s commitment to the development of the capital.

The minister also said at least 10 major infrastructure projects would be commissioned in the FCT before the end of the year.

“By the time these projects are completed, it will be a different story, so we’re happy,” he said.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button